Chairs have become an important asset at our homes and offices. They are used whenever we want to relax, sit or work. However a chair with no proper back support can cause chronic back pain.
To cope with this problem, I have made a personalized list of best ergonomic office chairs for back pain which will help you select them precisely for your varied use.
The chairs mentioned below vary according to their brands, features and design, all along keeping budget in mind.
So, let’s start with the countdown…
Top 7 Office Chairs for Back Pain in 2021
#1: Herman Miller Embody Chair
Have a glance at the all the chairs above because the topmost candidate is unique in every manner with its first look grabbing your eyeballs.
The chair gaining the top spot is Embody Chair created by Herman Miller. Certified by Greenguard, the chair promises its durability, standard and value for money to buyers.
The first thing you notice about the Embody chair is how it looks. The design is unconventional, and the high back is quite striking. The narrow back is very innovative with a plastic spine running throughout the back.
The spine is designed to mimic and work like the actual human spine. It is connected with the back by a support system made up the H-shaped structure. These H’s connect with the spine and the back moves according to your movement.
The chair adapts with your back as soon as you sit on it, improving your posture and providing the much-needed comfort for long working hours. The seat gives relief to your coccyx area prolonging your working time to 8 hours.
The armrests come in handy for resting hands when not working. Embody is advanced; it lowers your heart rate reducing stress. The lumbar support helps you reduce lower back pains.
Weighing 52 pounds, this innovative chair is available in different exotic colors like berry blue, green apple, peacock rhythm, black balance, etc.
The chair has height adjustment lever helping you rise according to the desk height. The reclining angle can be adjusted by turning the lever to the right.
Some people like to work closer to the computer screen, and some like to work from a distance; this lever helps you with the proper angle.
Embody prevents uncomfortable pressure on your legs with no rearward rotation keeping your pelvis stable. The armrests are adjustable going up and downwards by pushing the button at the bottom.
They can go sideways as per the body width, fitting users of all sizes. Embody adapts wide variation in sizes, shapes, and postures with seat depth adjusting different thigh lengths and moving armrest fitting broadest range users.
The dual-caster wheels along with swiveling motion make this chair a workforce with some fun making your sitting time a worthy one.
The Embody chair is 98% Eco-friendly i.e. easy to put together and take apart hence, easy to recycle.
- RHYTHM fabric is tight, smooth soft to the touch, and prevents heat buildup
- INNOVATIVE ERGONOMIC DESIGN - More than 20 physicians and PhDs in the fields of biomechanics, vision, physical therapy, and ergonomics contributed their expertise to help guide the development of this chair. As a result, Embody has set a new benchmark for pressure distribution, natural alignment, and support for healthy movement in ergonomic seating.
- BACKFIT ADJUSTMENT - Embody’s back is designed like a human’s, with a central spine and flexible ribs. The Backfit adjustment allows you to position the backrest in line with your spine’s natural curve, so you achieve a neutral, balanced posture. Once the chair is tuned to fit you, the backrest adapts to your movement, adjusting automatically to your shifting positions. Whether you lean forward or recline, support remains constant.
- FEATURES: tilt limiter, adjustable Seat Depth, fully adjustable arms, graphite base and frame, Black arm pads, and carpet casters
- PIXELATED SUPPORT - You feel Embody’s Pixelated Support the moment you sit down—a sense that you are floating, yet perfectly balanced. Thanks to a dynamic matrix of pixels, Embody’s seat and back surfaces automatically conform to your body’s micro-movements, distributing your weight evenly as you sit. This reduces pressure and encourages movement, both of which are key to maintaining healthy circulation and focus.
You might also like to read: 7 Best Office Chair for Sciatica Pain
#2: Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair
A strong contender for an Ergonomic back chair, the second spot is grabbed by Steelcase introducing a task chair, especially for back pains.
The live back technology adjusts the shape of your spine and further movements of the chair. It mimics the spine shape throughout your routine so that you can stay comfortable for a longer time.
Movement while sitting is healthier sending oxygen to your muscles and increasing blood flow to your brain.
Special foam at the back helps air circulation and the flexible seat edge relieving pressure on you legs when leaning or just sitting.
It balances heat and moisture ensuring you stay a comfortable whole day without a drop of sweat. The armrest helps to reduce the kinks in your wrists and elbows which is very frequent while working.
The adjustable lumbar support helps you support your lower back for additional back support. Available in five different colors, this 48 pounder is capable of lifting 200 pounds user.
The chair shows miracle regarding the reclining angles. The natural glide system reclines and glides the seat forward enabling you to recline and still stay oriented visually.
This aims at fewer loads on spine delivering varied postures. A quick fact is you need to keep a 2 finger width distance between your knee bottom and the seat edge so that blood keeps flowing.
The most amazing feature to talk is the lower back firmness which enables you to adjust your higher and lower back simultaneously giving constant support to both ends.
The armrest can be lowered, raised and swiveled to a certain angle. Seat reclining feature enables you to recline and keeps you oriented in various postures.
It increases the base value of this 94 percent recyclable Eco-friendly chair. The strong 5 hooded spokes lie at the base with dual caster wheels serving their purpose of moving the user over short distances.
- Buzz2 fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, height adjustable lumbar, lower back firmness control, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment, 5 position recline lock, upholstered back and seat
- All day comfort and back support - Leap's contoured backrest changes shape as you move to support your entire spine, ensuring long-term comfort
- Quality & durability – designed to withstand 24/7 use while providing maximum comfort
#3: Herman Miller Aeron Task Chair
Since back pain has become the unnecessary part of your daily routine; Herman Miller gives Aeron chair designed to make sure you stop complaining about the spinal aches, neck strain, and numb shoulders.
Aeron uses a mesh style fabric on the seat and back which is very supportive without creating pressure points on the body. The chair takes the shape of the back and fits perfectly.
The waterfall design of the seat pan doesn’t cut off circulation down your thigh and feels like a mesh trampoline without the bounce.
The curvy seat pan is the main catalyst for your efficient work rate without getting deflated a bit after long hours. The lumbar support at the back slides up and down helping you in your long term typing.
Available in carbon and aluminum frame options, and lavish metallic colors, every chair looks unique at whichever place you assign it.
The armrests have a leather coating that pivots in different angles along with height adjustment feature. Seat pan locking adjustment adds the flexibility to your movement when you rise back from the reclining position.
The tilt lock comes in three settings where you can tilt to larger angles for a quick power nap or recline at small angles while watching TV. You can use the upright tilt to work continuously giving you vertical posture.
The tilt lock at the back allows you to rock while leaning. The chair has a height increasing adjustment raising you up to a decent height.
Designed to bring style and comfort, the chair comes with 12 years warranty giving swiveling motion as well.
The 55 pound Aeron chair is backed by the 5 hooded spokes with a 2.5-inch diameter dual caster wheels capable of moving on all floors.
- Your purchase includes One Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Chair – Size C, graphite color
- Chair dimensions: 43" H x 28.25" W x 18.5" D. Seat heights: 16”-20.5”.
- Tilt Limiter lets you set the recline range at one of three postures. Tension control lets you adjust the amount of effort needed to recline comfortably. Seat Angle Adjustment changes seat angle from neutral to engaged
- Try the Adjustable PostureFit Sacral/Lumbar support. Two individual pads flex independently and can be adjust to fit the curve of your spine
- Fully Adjustable Arms adjust from a height of 6.8” above the seat to 10.8 inches above the seat, slide backward and forward over a range of 2.5 inches, pivot 15 degrees outward and 17.5 degrees inward
You might also like to read: 10 Best Ergonomic Desk Chairs for Home and Office
#4: AmazonBasics High Back Office Chair
The next chair in our list is AmazonBasics High Back Chair. The padded high back is made up of leather keeping you vertical all day long. The shiny black leather gives an Executive look to the room.
The chair stands on a long steel pipe which is the base for the seat pan capable of holding weight up to 250 pounds. The seat pan is filled with comfy foams that don’t deflate it even after thousand hours of sitting.
Care is taken regarding the wrist pains with the addition of foam covered thick armrests helping you in your mini breaks where you can recline while resting your arms on it.
The armrests should be bolted to the sides and cannot be height adjusted. This model by AmazonBasics is exclusively available in black color; giving 360-degree rotation to users.
The chair, when assembled, weighs 35 pounds and takes 15 minutes of your worthy time. The assembly is made simpler with a user guide given at the time of delivery.
It dual caster nylon wheels; hence moving over thick carpets and wooden floors is not a big deal.
The lumbar support is not just the support but a pain reliever for every individual fed up of lower back pains. The hydraulic height adjustment rises from 41 inches to 45 inches giving extra inches to the short ones.
The chair reaches 20 inches above the ground comfortable for taller ones as well. You need to pull the lever to the right and tilt back to the required angle for optional power naps.
Resume the original position by leaning forward while simultaneously pulling the tilt back. A tilt tension knob beneath the seat makes it easier or harder to rock back in your chair, depending on which way you turn the knob.
The vinyl upholstery and the height are suitable for neck support as well. Supported by the strong five hooded base molded from high-quality plastic, the chair ensures a strong base for the user unmoved even after small movements while sitting.
- Comfortable executive chair upholstered in black polyurethane bonded leather with a pewter metal finish
- Padded seat, back and armrests for all day comfort and support; perfect for home office, computer desk or executive conference room
- Pneumatic Seat Height adjustment and tilt lock; 360 degree swivel; smooth rolling casters
- BIFMA Certified; Supports up to 275 pounds
- Chair Dimensions: 29.1 x 26.2 x 41.7-45.5 inches (LxWxH); assembly instructions included
#5: Ergohuman High Back Office Chair
Our next entrant at the fifth spot is the High Back Chair by Ergohuman. The back made of mesh deletes the sweat patches at the back.
The innovative back design resembles butterfly wings supported by a solid metal rod that helps you to sit flexibly all day long. The curvy design gives separate support to your lower back.
The soft seat pan doesn’t make it tiring to sit for longer hours. You can order this in different mesh colors like Blue, Black, Burgundy, Copper Green and Grey.
Further comfort is delivered by the cushioned head rest coming into use when leaning back. Total weight of the chair is 64 pounds offering a swiveling motion along with weight capacity up to 200 pounds.
You just have to pull the lever at the right to adjust your height. The dual curve acts as lumbar support simultaneously with the back. The headrest moves at various angles while sitting as well leaning.
The tilt back helps you to recline whenever you feel like relaxing. The chair has adjustable armrests which can change angles and the height adjustment button elevates it.
Now, swivel along your workplace to increase body movement as the chair offers a complete 360-degree swiveling motion.
The chrome star base holds the entire weight along with the nylon dual caster wheels making you movable at the workplace without getting off your seat.
It is recommended that you should frequently touch your feet to avoid numbness and facilitate blood circulation; hence height adjustment becomes a necessary feature to achieve this purpose.
- Made of Chrome/polypropylene base with nylon casters, this chair is made of 97% recyclable components
- Product dimensions – 29" D x 26.5" W x 46”-52" H | Seat dimensions – 18.5” D x 20.5” W | Seat height (lowest/highest) – 18.5”/22.2” | Back dimensions – 20.5” W x 28” H | Product weight – 66 lbs. | Weight limit – 250 lbs.
- Synchro-tilt mechanism and seat depth adjustment ensure users sit correctly and get the support they need, whether sitting upright or reclining
- Pneumatic cylinder raises and lowers chair quickly | Back, seat cushion, and headrest all adjust to fit an array of users and accommodate their individual needs
- Back angle adjustment with 3 position tilt-lock adjusts easily - lock the chair back into place in one of three positions, or simply use the tension control adjustment to control the amount of force to recline or sit up straight
You might also like to read: Best Zero Gravity Chairs for Back Pain
#6: Alera Etros Series Office Chair
Alera brings its new chair Etros Series under the price tag of $200. The chair has a stain resistant polyester back cover and seat pan giving comfort to your base and back.
The complete mesh back provides support and air circulation while providing required firmness needed for 8 to 10 hours.
Available in Black Color, the chair houses curved armrests made of polypropylene supporting arms in the mean time.
This 43 pounder gives swiveling motion to make your turning motion smoother. The lumbar support pillow can be bought from here.
Your contact with the floor is kept intact as the back reclines at 2 to 1 ratio with the seat. The multi-functional adjustment lever is used to adjust the height while the same lever can be used to tilt back at a certain angle.
The dual-caster wheels made of nylon combine with the five hooded base to give a swiveling motion along with movement over short distances.
Use the lean back option to tilt and enjoy the Power Nap. You have to move forward and adjust the lever simultaneously to resume the original position.
The curvy loop armrests can be raised using the lever at the side and raise it accordingly. Keeping the price tag in mind, you can sit daily for 8 hours without any issue.
- Mesh suspension seat and back provides firmness, breathability and comfort
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Back reclines at 2-to-1 angle to the seat allowing user to recline while keeping seat relatively even with the floor
#7: XUER Ergonomics Office Chair
XUER offers a suitable solution for back pain receiving positive feedback from its users. The cushioned seat pan is comfortable even over long duration of use.
The mesh cools yours back preventing body heat and moisture build-up, and the Ergonomic design is sturdy to hold your weight for several hours along with occasional swiveling motion.
The backrest is the best part of the chair, and easy assembly makes it a simple task. The design is strong enough to handle a weight up to 330 lbs.
The power naps have become easier, as the lever at the bottom gives an effortless reclining motion along with the lumbar supporting the lower back as well.
Recline controller at the bottom helps you tilt down along with resting your head on the neck rest. For short people; the height can be lowered by the hydraulic lever to make sure that you have the correct posture.
The tension control adjustment at the bottom enables controlling the tension of the swiveling motion. The wider people can fit as the armrest fold back increasing the width of the seat pan.
- ✔HIGH STANDARD: XUER office chairs have been certified by BIFMA and SGS, passed 2504lbs static pressure test. It can carry a weight of up to 330lbs and seat cushion made of sponge with mesh-covered will last for a long time.
- ✔ADJUSTABLE FUNCTION: Multi-dimensional free rotating headrest protects the cervical vertebra, adjustable arms in PU covered, 3.93in height adjustable gas lift and 360° rotation are flexible and suitable for your office environment. The tilt function with position lock and 126 ° back adjustment are ready for your office rest.
- ✔THICK SEAT CUSHION: With the W-shaped design, you can always sit in the middle of the chair and get the necessary support from the backrest. The front edge of the seat looks like a waterfall and reduces the pressure on the thighs as much as possible while sitting down.
- ✔COZY & EASY ASSEMBLY: You can also adjust the seat height, back, and armrests flexibly to the positions that fit your posture best. Anyone can even install this chair in a few steps by using the manual, no extra tools are needed for assembly.
- ✔NO WORRY: If you have any questions about the quality of the product, please feel free to contact us. Once we have confirmed the problem, you can replace the damage parts and missing parts within one year for free.
Conclusion for Best Ergonomic Chair for Back Pain:
These are much-needed chairs for all those users facing regular backaches in their routine.
Every chair is eligible to wipe out those back sprains and bringing the spine to its original shape.
The chairs won’t twinge your back further eliminating the threatening posture of your upper body.
Keeping every detail in mind, I have ranked those workforces according to their effectiveness in reducing the back pains.
Different price tags give the much-needed flexibility for all the users who can’t afford a branded chair instead settle down for a less priced one.
I hope the review was helpful in bringing some relief to your back, making your spine more elastic.
Thank You! Have a Great Day Ahead…
FAQs: Best Office Chairs for Back Pain
- How can these chairs help us to reduce our back pain so easily?
Well, all of the chairs as mentioned earlier are ergonomic ones which mean they are scientifically made in that way to reduce the stress on the back of your body. When you’re working without having a soft and cosy back cover then not only back but your whole body might get hurt, and these type of chairs make sure that your body is a having good blood circulation. So with its unique and very admirable features, these type chairs us to reduce our back/neck pain.
- How many of these chairs offer a height adjustment feature?
Almost all of them. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a tall or short person because we all need to adjust our seat so that we can work more efficiently, and you can do that thing with any of these chairs.
- I sometimes like to take a quick power nap so out of these chairs which office chair offer has got the best headrest?
We all like to take some quick power naps to get out of the stressed. It’s very essential that the chair which we’re buying must have proper headrest because taking a nap on a wrong chair might lead us to the hospital. You can go with almost any of these chairs, but if I have to suggest you the best, then you shall go with the Ergohuman high office back chair. This chair has uniquely designed for headrest which can make anyone fall in love with this it.
- My work requires me to work for several hours, and I’m worrying that whether will I get sweaty if I sit too much on any of these office chairs?
No need to worry about the sweating problem. Before buying an ergonomic chair even, I used to get too much sweaty because I used to play games continuously without worrying about my back, but after purchasing an ergonomic chair now, that problem is solved. One of the essential benefits of buying an ergonomic chair is that you will get a very fresh air around your back when you sit on it. So don’t worry because you won’t get sweaty even if you used this chair continuously for work.
- I’m thinking of buying an additional lumbar support cushion, so shall I buy them or do I get free if I buy any of these chairs?
If you’re expecting that you’ll get one of the best lumbar cushions for free, then you’re wrong because very few companies give such type of things as accessories. If you’re having a problem in your lower back then yes, it’s better to buy additional cushion support because even though these chairs are right, it is always better to take extra care of our body.
You might also like to read:
- 10 Best Ergonomic Desk Chairs for Home and Office
- 7 Best Office Chairs for Sciatica Pain
- 10 Best Office Chairs for Short Person
- 5 Best Chairs for Programmers & Bloggers
- 5 Best Ergonomic Drafting Chairs for Standing Desk
- 8 Best Gaming Chairs for Big and Tall People
- Best Zero Gravity Chairs For Back Pain