Cheap living room sets under $500 are hard to find these days. Let’s look at some great options in this article. Our top 3 are listed below:
A living room is the heart and soul of your home. It’s the place where you can sit and relax at the end of the day and have a bit of fun with friends and family. This is why having the right furniture in your living room is very important.
But getting a living room set that reflects your style, your needs and comes within your budget is becoming harder and harder these days. You may think $500 is enough to get you a wide range of choices, but you will be surprised!
That is why we have put together a set of recommendations with specifications, in-depth reviews, pros and cons to help you choose cheap living room sets under $500.
In this review, we will help you with:
- A guide on how to select the perfect living room set on a shoestring budget
- Six cheap living room sets under $500.
- Answers to some commonly asked questions about living room sets
- Hopefully, your next living room set!
You might also like to read : Best Furniture For Entertaining
How To Choose The Perfect Living Room Set?
The shape of the sofa and the size of the room
The shape and the size of the room determine what type of sofa will look good in it. The sofa must be such that it does not make the room look crowded, nor must it be too small that makes the room look empty.
Measure the size of the room and then compare it to the size of the sofa. By doing this, you will understand how the couch will look in the room.
The fabric of the sofa
The fabric of the sofa also plays a vital role. Choose a fabric that is comfortable and convenient to maintain. Sofa with a removable cushion cover is the best as you can wash it with ease. Fabrics on which stains are not very prominent are the best to choose.
Leather is an excellent option as it lasts long. You need not buy an original leather sofa as it can be costly. You can go for microfiber or polyester fabrics that are a few inexpensive substitutes for leather and require low maintenance.
Framework and the legs of the sofa
Choose a sofa that has a solid and sturdy framework. This will help to make the sofa stay as it is for a long time. Buying a sofa is a tedious job. You don’t replace your sofa now and then. Thus, it is better that you buy a touch wooden frame sofa with solid legs. As the legs are the support system of any sofa thus, it needs to be strong.
The color of the couch must complement the walls.
Buying a sofa that goes well with the walls is the best. If the walls are light in color and the couch is darker, they will complement each other. The room will look more synchronized and elegant.
If everything in the room is modern, make sure the couch you buy is of neutral colors like grey, beige, white, and off-white. This will help make the sofa the focal point of the room. Brown and beige are two colors that make any room look great.
Before buying a sofa, you need to see that the sofa must be comfortable for all the family members. The cushioning and the seating posture must all be comfortable.
Look for couches that provide back support. Sofas with firm backs are the best for supporting your lumbar spine.
Before buying a sofa, you should also check the seat height and depth. Check the average height of the family members and then buy a couch whose seat height + depth is comfortable enough to accommodate everyone in the family.
If you are only a two-member household, then a loveseat will be great for you. But if you have a family of 5-6 members, then an L-shaped sectional couch will be best for you.
A sofa bed works best for those who usually have guests coming over. If you love lying on a sofa for a small nap or while watching tv, reading a book, then buy a sofa with large seats with extra cushioning.
Well, obviously, since we are looking at cheap living room sets, price is a determinant. But what’s important to note here is that a small budget does not mean you have to compromise on quality. And on that note, our next section will present six cheap living room sets under $500 that are high in quality, durability, functionality, comfort, and style.
You might also like to read : How to Organize Furniture in a Small Living Room: 30 Expert Tips
Reviews of The 6 Best Living Room Sets Under $500
#1 Shintenchi L-shaped Sectional Sofa
- Versatile: 9/10
- Durable: 9.2/10
- Comfort: 9/10
- Tool-free assembly: 9.3/10
- No of seats: 3
- Framework: wooden and linen fabric
- Dimensions: 77.55 L X 50 W X 35.43H inches
- Weight Capacity: 660 pounds
- Assembled seat height: 17.71 inches
- One of the most cost-effective 3-piece living room sofa under $500.
- It is designed in such a way that helps reduce backache.
- The sofa is suitable for all rooms and blends well with other furniture.
- Cushions are nice and firm, and one does not sink in.
- It is highly versatile; thus, it fits in small spaces, kids’ rooms, studio apartments, and much more.
- The dark grey is not dark, and it is a denim blue color that does not look attractive to many.
- The cushions sink in after a year of regular use.
If you suffer from a backache problem, this sofa is for you. Its ergonomic design reduces pressure from the back.
Durability: The sofa is quite comfortable as it can withstand heavy weight up to 660 pounds it becomes highly long-lasting. For maximum comfort, you get vast space to sit and relax on the couch. The wooden framework and the metal legs make the sofa durable.
Versatile: The sofa is L-shaped. Thus, it fits well in any room, apartment, studio, kids room, and more. Set it on your balcony and enjoy your morning and evening tea. The color is dark and valuable for a kid’s room as it does not get dirty quickly. Cleaning the sofa and its stains is very simple.
Comfort: Sitting on the sofa for long hours is comfortable as the back is firm and is designed in a way to reduce back pain. It helps relieve pressure from the back and provides ultimate comfort.
Tool-free assembly: you do not require any tools for putting it together, and thus, assembling does not take much time. Minimum of 10 minutes, and your work is complete. It is lightweight; hence, shifting the sofa from one place to another becomes very convenient.
#2 Single Choice Modular 3-Piece Sectional Sofa
- Versatile: 9/10
- Comfort: 8.9/10
- Durability: 8.7/10
- Too-free assembly: 8.9/10
- No of seats: total two-person futon and one single seat
- Weight of the sofa: 68.5 pounds
- Material: faux leather, chrome legs
- Dimensions: 66 x 30 x 30.5 inches
The multipurpose Modern sectional set is sofa and loveseat under $500. It is highly versatile, and you can use it as a lounger, a bed, and a couch as per your preference.
- The sofa is highly versatile as it can convert into a lounger, a sofa, and a sofa bed.
- Ample amount of back support.
- Faux leather is easy to clean.
- The couch has a glass holder on the armrest, making the sofa modern.
- The pillow armrest is removable to create more seating space.
- The couch is smaller in size and not suitable for heavy people.
- There are no replacements for the parts if any part breaks you will have to buy the whole sofa.
Versatile: the sofa is versatile as you can easily convert it into a bed, a chaise lounger, and a couch. Within seconds converting the couch is possible.
Durability: the sofa is made using faux leather, which is easy to maintain and clean. The legs are of chrome finish that makes the couch look attractive. The sofa also has a glass holder on the armrest, making it worthwhile to hold small things.
Comfort: this best choice sofa has a tufted back that provides ideal back support and helps to reduce pain. The futon and the single seat both have a recliner back that converts into a bed. If you have sudden guests, you need not worry as the sofa acts as a bed. The L-shape of the couch fits well in any room, and you can use it with an ottoman to add extra comfort.
Tool-free assembly: best choice L-shaped lounger sofa does not require any particular assembly. By screwing the legs of the sofa, you can assemble it within no time and relax on the sofa. The armrest pillow armrest is removable, creating extra space while using the sofa as a bed. Use it according to your requirements.
You might also like to read : The 9 Best Furniture For Home Staging: Reviews & Tips
#3 Novogratz Futon Sofa
- Versatile: 8.5/10
- Durability: 8.3/10
- Comfort: 9/10
- Tool-free assembly: 8.9/10
- No of seat: two seat
- Weight of the sofa: 84 pounds
- Weight Capacity: 600 lbs
- Material: Wooden framework with linen upholstery
- Futon Dimensions: 81.5 L X 34.5 W X 31.5 H inches
- Seat Height: 16 inches
- Color options: 12 different colors
My third choice for the best cheap living room sets under $500 is from Novogratz Futon sofa. A modern-looking sofa with tufted cushions that provides ideal back support when sitting for long hours.
- The tufted cushioning makes the sofa comfortable and offers excellent back support.
- The linen fabric makes it convenient to maintain the sofa.
- Slanting legs provide extra support and curved design makes it look outstanding.
- The armrests are also curved that makes it a perfect sofa for the living room.
- 12 different color options help choose the sofa according to the decor of the room.
- Not suitable for a large living room.
- Weak customer service.
Versatile: The Futon sofa is perfect for any room, especially for the living room. It is a multipurpose sofa as it can be converted into a bed with sleeper dimensions as length 70.5 x width 43.5 x height 16 inches. The fine linen upholstery makes the sofa look eye-catchy. Cleaning the sofa is very convenient. You need to use a wet cloth and clean it. Though the sofa looks like a loveseat but is far wider than that as it is a futon sofa.
Durability: This sofa has a touch of modernity and style. The material is highly durable and long-lasting. Tufted cushioned back makes the cushions stay in place and the wooden legs make it withstand heavy weight with ease. There is an extra wooden leg in the center for additional support.
Comfort: The sofa has a firm back, making it convenient for those with backaches. The sofa makes you feel relaxed when sitting on it for long hours. Foam filling makes the seats comfortable and Wider armrests and legs make the sofa look wide.
Tool-free assembly: The Novogratz sofa is shipped in a box, and assembling does not require much time. Hinges are attached to the sofa, you need to open it and screw the legs. The sofa does not require much maintenance.
#4 JustRoomy Accent Chair Set
- Durability: 8.5/10
- Comfort: 8.2/10
- Tool-free assembly: 8/10
- No of seats: 3
- Weight capacity: 330 pounds
- Chair height:16.5 inches
- Material: linen fabric with Pine framework and solid wooden legs
- Dimensions: 29.9 L X 30.3 W X 32.7 H inches
This is the best two-piece chair under $500 with a mid-century look. It is suitable for small as well as large rooms. Use it as per convenience as it is highly versatile.
- The wooden framework ensures stability and makes the chair long-lasting.
- Ergonomic design with backrest pillows makes the chair highly comfortable.
- The hardwood legs have non-slippery rubber tips making the chair skid-resistant.
- A robust framework of pine and MDF together makes the chair durable.
- The cushion is small and does not provide proper back support.
Versatile: This classic mid-century sofa chair can be used in the living room, bedroom, and kids’ room. The detailing of the sofa is nicely done. You can blend it well with other furniture. The yellow color of the chair will make any room look attractive.
Durability: the pine framework of the chair makes the chair long-lasting as it is shock-resistant material. The solid wooden legs of the chair make it stable and help withstand heavy weights up to 330 pounds. The cushioned back makes the chair comfortable and provides back support.
Comfort: The chair has excellent cushioned padding that makes it convenient to use for a long time. It also has an extra pillow measuring 20 inches in length and 12 inches in width that helps provide additional support.
Easy assembly: the chair is easy to assemble, and the shipping is done in two different packages. You need to screw the legs to use the sofa. Putting the couch together does not require much time.
You might also like to read : Cheap Living Room Sets Under $300
#5 Mecor 2 Piece Living Room Sofa Set
- Versatile: 8.6/10
- Comfort: 8.3/10
- Durability: 8/10
- Tool-free assembly:7.9/10
- No. of seats: 3-seat sofa and single seat couch
- Weight capacity: 450 to 660 lbs
- Material: metal frame with wooden legs
- Dimension: for Single sofa width 31.49″ *27.95″ depth *36.41″ height.
- For three- Seat Sofa: 74.80 inches in width *27.95 inches depth *36.41inches height.
Mecor sofa is a complete sofa set for large as well as small rooms. The strong metal framework helps support heavy weight with ease. With a firm back, it provides ideal back support.
- The side pockets on either side of the armrest help keep remotes, newspapers, etc.
- The metal framework makes the sofa durable.
- The wooden legs can support weight up to 660 lbs.
- Linen fabric makes the couch breathable and comfortable.
- The cushions are removable and stick to the back of the couch with the help of a magic sticker.
- Due to the packaging, the cushions wrinkle up that spoils the look of the furniture.
Versatile: The grey color of the sofa blends well with the house’s decor and with the other furniture. It creates space and makes a room look big. The sofa has a side pocket that helps to keep small things safe. You can keep a remote, phone, magazine and newspaper near you. The sofa cover is intact with zipping; thus, you can remove the cover and wash it with ease.
Comfort: the sofa has wide comfortable seats that are soft and spongy. The linen fabric is long-lasting and easy to maintain. The firm back cushioning provides the users with ultimate back support. While sitting on the sofa, the weight is distributed evenly thus, providing maximum comfort to the users.
Durability: the sofa has a metal frame that makes it solid as compared to wood. It can support weight up to 660 lbs. The wooden legs have non-slippery padding that protects the floor from scratches and makes the sofa stay at its place. The center leg of the sofa is adjustable, which helps to give proper support.
#6 WQSLHX Living Room Chair Set With Lumbar Pillow
- Versatile: 8.5/10
- Durability: 8.3/10
- Comfort: 9/10
- Tool-free assembly: 8/10
- No of seats: 2
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Material: velvet fabric with golden metal legs
- Dimensions: 28 x 31 x 38 inches
The velvety-soft chair provides lumbar support and makes the chair perfect for people with bad backs. The super-soft elastic sponge and spongy armrests make the chair all the more comfortable as it has a lot of resilience. It is one of the best two-piece sofa sets under $500.
- A cost-effective chair set is available with three color options.
- Padding at the back, arms, and headrest makes the sofa highly comfortable.
- The curved back provides ultimate back support.
- The chair has an extraordinary height of 38 inches that makes it ideal for tall people.
- You can buy it in a pair and also as a single piece.
- Velvet fabric is not suitable for summer days as it will make you feel hot.
- With the velvet material of the sofa, the chances of wear and tear are high.
Versatile: Use the chair in your study, bedroom, and any other room of the house. The mid-century design makes the chair look modern and classy, perfect for the living room setup. The unique shape of the sofa makes it look attractive. It acts as back support for those with backaches. You can buy a single piece and even in a pair it depends on you.
Durability: The wooden framework makes the chair ideal for heavy individuals. The sofa can withstand weight up to 300 lbs. Durable wooden framework makes the chair sturdy and long-lasting.
Comfort: the chair is available with a thick comfortable sponge cushion that provides extra comfort while using the chair for long hours. The lumbar pillow also acts as excellent back support as it relieves pain from the pressure points. The armrest too has cushioned padding that makes the chair very comfortable.
Tool-free assembly: the chair has a removable backrest giving a perfect ottoman look. You do not require any specific tools for putting the chair together. Setting up the chair requires a few simple steps. The leg height is adjustable; thus, one can adjust it accordingly.
You might also like to read : Best Furniture For Long Narrow Living Room
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the essential thing to keep in mind while buying a sofa set?
While buying a good sofa, budget is the essential factor to keep in mind.
It is a myth that the more you spend, the better sofa you can buy. But the truth is, you need to research a bit to find a couch that is cheap and under $500.
Without compromising on the quality, you can buy an inexpensive piece of furniture for your house. Buy it online to save a good amount of money and find great offers and discounts that will help you buy something you will cherish for a long time.
Which type of sofa lasts long?
Sofas with a good framework and which are tightly woven last long. Oak is a hardwood that requires low maintenance and remains as it is for a long time.
Hardwood furniture is moisture-resistant as well as water-resistant. Oak is one of the inexpensive hardwoods that can fit into your budget when compared to other hardwoods.
Every corner of your house must blend well with each other. Even while choosing a sofa, you need to be careful. On the one hand, a lovely sofa can make your house look great, but it can also make your room look dull if you are not careful while selecting. Needs are never-ending but planning what you need is essential. Thus, buying what you need must not necessarily be expensive.
Let me highlight the final summary with three sofas:-
The best one being Shintenchi L-shaped 3-piece Convertible Sectional Sofa This sofa is perfect for small rooms, and it is ergonomically designed to support your back, giving you a lot of comforts as well.
The Novogratz Futon Sofa is another great option to go for. Its hardwood framework and linen upholstery make the sofa durable and long-lasting. The sofa is a 3-seater sofa that is perfect for living spaces.
The JustRoomy Accent Chair Set is a great choice if you don’t want to clutter your living room with a big sofa. The chairs are of a bright yellow color, which will go well with darker shaded living rooms. They are designed to suit a mid century modern decor style.