Schlage keypad locks are a great way to secure your home’s entrance doors or back doors. Schlage locks are robust, easy to use, and work with most doors. With keypad locks, you don’t have to worry about hiding your keys or losing them.
But sometimes, you may forget the code and end up stranded inside your own door, with no way to lock it! In this case, you will need to reset the lock.
Unlike many other types of locks, Schlage keypads can be reset by simply taking out the battery and doing a set combination of keystrokes. You don’t even need a programming code, and that’s why this article exists!
Let us look in detail at how you can reset the keypad locks from Schlage. In this article, we will cover:
- How to reset the lock,
- How to reset it to its default programming, and
- How to change user code.
Schlage Keypad Lock Reset Process
Schlage locks do not require code to reset the lock, so you don’t need to worry about that. You can reset the lock following the above method and use the default code to set the code again. When you have completed a factory reset, all the programming codes will return to the default settings.
When you have reset the keypad lock, you need to look at a few things to keep the lock operating correctly and ensure security. We will cover this in the next section.
To reset the keypad lock, follow these steps.
- First, make sure that your door where the lock is fixed is open so that you can get to both the inside and outside of the lock.
- Take out the battery first and disconnect them when assembling the interior.
- Now, press and then release the button marked Schlage. It will be placed on the exterior side of the lock.
- Put the batteries back. Now, press and hold the button until a green light appears. You will also hear a beep sound.
- If the lock performs the setup procedure, it means resetting the lock is successful.
This is the most common method to reset the keypad lock and works in almost every Schlage lock. However, in the case that this method does not work for you, you can have a look at the user manual and refer to its resetting instructions.
Things To Ensure Maximum Safety With Schlage Locks
How to Protect Your Home if You are Going on a Long Holiday.
Some Schlage keypad locks have a vacation mode option. This feature can help to keep your home safe and secure when you are on vacation or out of the home for extended periods.
You may have shared the lock code with some users but may not want them to access your house when you are not there. In such cases, you can turn on the vacation mode from the settings and deactivate all user codes.
Vacation mode lets you deactivate all user codes when the mode is active. This way, you can enjoy your holiday without worrying about your home. If you are not sure how to turn this mode on, you can look at the instructions manual.
How to Ensure Safety if Someone in Your Home Leaves the Door Unlocked by Mistake.
When you enable the auto-lock feature in settings, it keeps your space secure and keeps the door locked even if you forget to lock it. With this feature, the door will lock automatically after a specific time.
Though not all Schlage locks need to have this feature, most of them have it. You can check if your lock has this feature, enable it from the settings, and ensure security. You can refer to the instructions manual if you are unsure about how to do it.
Removing Preset Defaults to Ensure Zero Access To Intruders
The Schlage lock comes with a default 6-digit code. You will find a sticker of the default code at the back of the keypad. Using this code, you can lock the settings and add or delete the programming code, auto-lock, and other such settings.
However, users should ideally change this default programming code to prevent other people from making any changes to the settings.
Though you may have changed the lock code many times, it goes back to default factory settings that include the program code the moment you reset the lock. This is why you need to change the default settings once again.
These keypad locks come with two different user codes. You will find these codes at the back of the keypad label and in the manual instruction guide. However, this depends on which Schlage model you have.
These two codes are preset, and you need to delete the code and add a new one of your choice to ensure security. Most Schlage keypad locks may accommodate up to 17 user codes, and you can add as many codes as you want and share them with people who can access them.
Here is the process you need to follow:
- To delete a code, enter the default code printed at the back of the lock.
- Now, press the Schlage button twice until you hear the beep sound and flash appearing three times.
- Enter the code you want to remove. The Schlage button will make a beep sound.
- You will be asked to re-enter the code again for confirmation.
- You will hear a long beep sound, and a green light will appear, indicating the code has been successfully deleted.
Adding New Users To Give Access To Friends and Family
Here is a quick guide on adding and deleting a new user code:
- Ender the 6-digit default code.
- Press the Schlage button and 1 to add the new user code. You will see the Schlage button flash.
- Add a new four-digit code after the flash and beep sound and let the Schlage button beep and flash again.
- Re-enter the code and confirm the changes.
- You will see a green light appear with a beep sound. This means the code has been set successfully.
Make sure to note down the code somewhere and keep it in a safe place so no one other than you can access it. Note: If your keypad lock has reached the maximum number of codes it can save, you may not be able to add a new code. In this case, you will need to delete the previous code.
By following the steps mentioned above, you will be able to reset your lock without needing a programming code. You will not require any professional help either, as it is easy to do.
I hope you find this article helpful and can reset the lock code and make other changes if needed to ensure the security of your property.