Kwikset makes one of the best door locks that helps keep your space safe. With various design innovations and features such as keyless entry, smartphone technology and remote access, Kwikset locks set a new standard in protection devices.
However, the Kwikset smart lock may malfunction on occasion for some users. If you find it an issue to lock and unlock your Kwikset smart lock, let us look at the possible causes and ways to fix them.
Why Is Your Kwikset Smart Lock Not Working?
In most cases, the Kwikset smart lock does not work if you have entered the wrong code and made several incorrect attempts to open the lock. Let us look at the possible causes and ways to fix the lock.
1. Multiple Incorrect User Code Entries
Sometimes your lock may not open if the user code is expired or incorrect. Within the Kwikset lock, users can create a one-time passcode, and if it expires, you won’t be able to unlock the door using that user code. But if you have a permanent code and it is still not opening, you may have entered the incorrect code.
How to Fix This
First, check your Kwikset app and see if the code is already expired. If it has, then try unlocking the door using a key. If you don’t remember the user code, you can unlock the door through the Kwikset app.
For this, you need to:
- Open the app and choose your lock.
- Press on the lock button.
After this, you should be able to open your lock. Make sure to record your user code somewhere so that you don’t lose or forget it.
2. Software Bugs
Are you still not able to unlock your door with the above steps? If you continue to experience an error when trying to unlock the device, try performing a factory reset. To factory reset the lock, perform the following steps:
- Open the lock cover and remove the battery.
- Now, press the Program button and hold it for some time. Replace the battery while still holding the button.
- Hold the program button until you see the red flash and a beep sound.
- Press the program button again.
- When the lock is reset, a green light will flash with a beep sound.
While factory resetting it, all your previous programming and settings will be removed, so you will need to program your lock all over again. If you have paired your smart lock with any other security system app, you will have to reconnect them again.
Door Handling Process Issues
When users install or reset a Kwikset lock system, it is necessary to perform a door-handling process. The door-handling process helps the lock determine how the deadbolt turns. If this process is not performed, the lock won’t function.
To perform this process:
- Remove the battery and hold the program button. Place the battery back again while still holding the button.
- Release the button when the battery is installed back successfully.
- Now, hold the program button again. The latch bolt will learn how the door extends and retracts. If you see a green light flashing on the LED, it means the process was successful.
If your Kwikset smart lock is not working and is unresponsive, your batteries might be too low. The lock stops functioning correctly when the battery runs too low. So even if you enter the correct user code, the lock may not unlock. You won’t even be able to lock the door using the code or through the Kwikset app.
The Kwikset smart lock uses AA non-rechargeable batteries. Make sure you are using the correct battery; the lock may not work if you use the wrong battery.
If you notice the lock has a low battery, replace them immediately. You can check the battery status in the Kwikset app and make sure the app notifications are enabled.
To replace the battery, perform the following:
- Keep the door open.
- Unscrew the lock cover and remove it entirely.
- Please remove the batteries and replace it with new ones.
- Cover the battery compartment.
If your Kwikset smart lock is not working, you should be able to fix it by replacing the batteries or factory resetting it. We hope the steps highlighted above will help you fix your Kwikset smart lock in a straightforward manner. If you are still unable to unlock after attempting these steps, you can contact the Kwikset technical support team for help.