Technology has changed everything. Our security and privacy are affected by it, as nowadays, you don’t need to use mechanical keys to lock and unlock your doors.
You can lock and unlock the doors with the help of your smartphone. In this article, we identify and discuss the best smartphone door locks for Android and iOS platforms.
???? Best Overall
August Smartlock 3rd Gen
????️ Editors Choice
Ultraloq Smart Door Lock
???? Best Value
Ultraloq U-Bolt Smart Lock
1. August Smartlock 3rd Generation – Best Overall
- Secure: This smartphone door lock is extremely secure as it works using Door Sense technology. This Door Sense technology detects whether your door is closed or open. This will ensure your door is closed when you are not at home.
- Compatible: This smartphone door lock is compatible with Android and iOS devices. You don’t need any keys or other devices to open doors. You will only need the August app.
- Easy Installation: You can install this smart door lock in less than 10 minutes. Even if you are not a handy person, you can install this door lock on most single-cylinder deadbolts.
- Durable: You may not have to change your locks ever again. This smartphone door lock will fit your regular door locks. This smart lock replaces the thumb turn on the inner side of the door.
- You can set this door lock to automatic mode.
- This smartphone door has Door Sense technology.
- You can easily install it.
- It is compatible with Android and iOS.
- You won’t have to change your door locks entirely.
- Some users mentioned that the auto-unlock feature does not work well with Android.
2. Ultraloq UL3 Smart Door Lock – Editors Choice
- Secure: You will remain secure with this lock as it is a 5-in-1 smart door lock. You can open this door lock without a key, with a key, fingerprint, code, and an application. This door lock has an anti-peep password.
- Compatible: This smart door lock has a reversible handle. Due to this feature, both left-handed and right-handed individuals can use the handle. This door lock is compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
- Easy Installation: You will not require the help of any locksmith to install this door lock. You will get simple instructions and templates with this door lock to help you install it.
- Durable: The battery backup of this smart door lock is one year long. It operates on three AA batteries. This door lock will also maintain a proper log. You can use this log to see who has entered the house and when.
- This is a 5-in-1 smart door lock.
- It has an anti-peep password.
- It is compatible with both Android as well as iOS devices.
- Advanced fingerprint identification to keep you secured.
- Allows you to enter without a key.
- The fingerprint scanner does not work well in extremely cold weather.
3. Ultraloq U-Bolt Smart Lock – Best Value
- Secure: This door has the capability of locking and unlocking on its own with its auto-locking feature. You can even hide the original password within random numbers for privacy.
- Compatible: You can install the U-Tec application on Android and iOS devices. This application will pair the door lock and your mobile via Bluetooth. You won’t have to get up to lock and unlock the door.
- Easy Installation: This door lock will not require any professional installation. You can easily install it within a few minutes.
- Durable: This door lock has proven to be 35 times stronger than a standard residential lock. It is rust and dustproof, allowing it to withstand different weather conditions.
- You can unlock this door lock in more than one way.
- This door lock is compatible with Bluetooth.
- It can lock and unlock the door automatically.
- This door lock is very durable as it is more potent than standard locks.
- It is made to withstand all weather conditions.
- It’s not a very aesthetically pleasing lock according to some users.
- The battery life on this lock is poor, as some users say.
4. Sifely Keyless Smart Door Lock
- Secure: You can remotely generate a password for this smartphone door lock and share it with your visitors. You can use your home for Airbnb or rental services with this feature. You can even set a fingerprint lock on this door lock for double authentication.
- Compatible: This smart door lock is ideal for Android 4.3 and above devices or devices with iOS 7.0 and above. The door will automatically lock if you forget to lock it.
- Easy Installation: You can install this door lock with just a screwdriver. You don’t need extra tools or professional help to install it. A unique feature of its door handle is that it is reversible, making it ideal for both left-handers and right-handers.
- Durable: The battery of this smartphone door lock even works with a power bank. If the battery is low, you can connect it to a power bank and then use it. You also get access logs to keep tabs on your home or office security.
- This door lock is ideal for renting and rental homes.
- You can control this lock remotely without a physical key.
- Pretty simple to install.
- Automatic locking and unlocking.
- Compatible with all types of devices.
- This smart door lock can be affected by the weather. It does not work well in very humid places.
5. Kwikset Smart Lock
- Secure: You will get notifications whenever someone accesses this door lock. You can use the keypad on this door lock if you don’t want to access the lock via a key or smartphone.
- Compatible: The interior of this smart door lock is tamper-resistant. There is no hardwiring needed. You’ll only need a screwdriver to install this lock. This lock is compatible with all Android devices.
- Easy Installation: This door lock is similar to regular door locks. Due to this feature, you will easily fit these locks on regular frames.
- Durable: You will get a lifetime warranty on this smart door lock on all the mechanical parts, whereas there is a one-year warranty on its electronic parts.
- You can pair this door lock with your smartphone.
- You will not require a key to open this door lock.
- You get a variety of user access codes to choose from.
- You’ll get notifications when the door is accessed.
- This door lock is automatic for your convenience.
- The lock does not work well with older doors.
6. Eufy Security Smart Door Lock
- Secure: This smart door lock is safe and secure as it has an automatic locking system. The door will lock itself even if you don’t do so. You can also use it by giving voice commands to Google or Alexa.
- Compatible: You can access this smart door lock from anywhere over the internet as it has built-in Wi-Fi. The door lock and your phone will be paired together. You will be able to give and take access to this feature.
- Easy Installation: Installing this smart door lock in less than 10 minutes. Due to this feature, you can save some money on the installation process.
- Durable: This door lock is highly durable as it has a special coating that protects it from rain, sleet, dust, snow, and hail. Itruns on batteries, and you also get a portable charger for emergencies.
- Your finger is the key with this security smart door lock.
- Multiple ways to unlock.
- This door lock also has built-in Wi-Fi.
- You can control this door lock with voice commands.
- This door lock is all weatherproof.
- The lock uses a Li-Ion battery instead of normal AA batteries, so you might have to search for replacements.
7. Sifely Smart Door Lock Keyless
- Secure: This door lock is a perfect solution for rental and Airbnb hosts. You can conveniently generate new passcodes each time new guests come over. This is a much better and cheaper option than changing the locks each time.
- Compatible: The Sifely app is available on Android and iOS app stores. You can download the app for free and connect your smart door lock to your phone with it.
- Easy Installation: This door lock is powered by 4 AA batteries, and it can run for over a year with these batteries. The installation process is easy and straightforward. You also get three physical keys with this lock-in emergency as a backup option for unlocking.
- Durable: This door lock is fully operational in hot and cold weather. The operating temperature range between this lock can operate -4° F to 140°F. You can use this lock outdoors because of its durable build.
- Allows you to generate pins remotely without your physical presence.
- All weatherproof door locks.
- Quick and easy installation
- It has long battery life.
- Compatible with all devices.
- After a few months, this door lock failed for some users, and it became possible to open them without a passcode.
8. Smonet Keyless Smart Door Lock
- Secure: This smart door lock has a fail-safe safety feature. If you or anyone types the password wrong five times, then the door will remain shut, and it will inform you that somebody has tried several attempts.
- Compatible: This smart door lock is available on all devices, including Android and iOS platforms. You can also customize the timer on this smart door lock according to your preference. After this timer, the door will lock automatically.
- Easy Installation: With this smart door lock, you will get lifetime customer support. You won’t even require a whole tool kit to fit this lock; you will just need a screwdriver. You can make use of this customer support at the time of installation as well.
- Durable: This smart door lock is a tough and reliable option for your home security. It will shut down automatically if you enter a wrong password multiple times.
- This door lock has a numeric keypad for safety.
- Reversible door lock.
- Allows you to create and share multiple key codes.
- It also has a fail-safe safety feature.
- The lock does not fit a circular door hole.
- Installation instructions may be difficult to understand.
- The app-based lock does not work well when you try to control it remotely.
9. Hornbill Smart Door lock
- Secure: You will be able to gain access to this door lock in six different ways. It has a fingerprint scanner, smartphone access, key, keycard, keypad, and voice control. You can quickly open your door with these methods.
- Compatible: This door lock can be connected to all devices, including Android and iOS platforms. You even get an anti-peep virtual passcode with this door lock. The virtual passcode can be useful to protect your original code.
- Easy Installation: You can install this smart door lock to the existing door lock frame within a few minutes. You won’t require the help of a locksmith to install this door lock. All you need is a screwdriver.
- Durable: This door lock’s side panels are made from zinc alloy. The design of this door lock is designed to sustain a significant impact.
- Multiple ways to access this smart door lock.
- It has a sensitive fingerprint scanner.
- It has a virtual passcode for privacy.
- You’ll be able to generate passcodes virtually.
- It can be installed within minutes.
- The fingerprint sensor does not work properly for a few customers.
- The lock can eat up battery life pretty quickly, so you might have to replace them very often.
10. Lockly Vision Smart Door Lock
- Secure: One of the unique things about this smart door lock is that it has a doorbell camera in it. You will be able to check who is at the door then take action accordingly.
- Compatible: This smart door lock can be used with all smartphones and other devices. You can find the application for this door lock on Google Play and Apple App Store as well.
- Easy Installation: It can be installed using common household tools. You will need a maximum of 15 minutes to install this door lock over the existing regular door locks.
- Durable: You will find this smart door lock to be very sturdy as it is made from high-quality zinc alloy.
- This door lock is zinc alloy galvanized.
- You also get a doorbell camera in this door lock.
- Peek-proof digital keypad.
- Remotely accessible
- 2-year warranty.
- Some customers mentioned that the camera is a bit buggy at times and the fingerprint scanner takes a bit of time before it captures your prints correctly.
Secure and Multi-Access
Most of the smart locks that we have mentioned are super secure. Some of their extra security features are that they let you change the door lock password remotely whenever you want, and some of them have anti-peeping mechanisms. Some also allow the user to encrypt the main password with a secondary password.
You can access most of these door locks using voice commands, mechanical keys, the numeric keypad, the fingerprint scanner, and of course, through smartphone access.
Ideally, you want a smartphone door lock compatible with all devices. Whether you have an Android or an iOS device, all the door locks listed above have a smartphone application available on most of the platforms. Using these applications, you can connect your smartphone with the door lock.
Installation of a door lock is a task that may be intimidating for some people. The good thing about these smartphone door locks is that they are typically easy to install.
You will not require any external help to install this type of door lock, and it can be done in just a few minutes. You will not need external household tools to install these door locks other than a screwdriver.
Smartphone door locks are designed to be tougher and stronger than your regular door locks. Most of these door locks will have a zinc alloy coating. This coating makes these locks reliable and also protects them from weather changes. Some of these locks are also designed to sustain major impact.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can smartphone door locks be hacked?
It is challenging to hack smartphone door locks as they are designed with multiple fail-safe features. However, like other door locks, there are some areas where these locks are also vulnerable.
Some smart door locks can be picked or removed with the help of a flathead screwdriver. This is the same level of security as that of a regular door lock.
Which smart lock is most secure?
The most secure form of a front door lock is the deadbolt door lock. These door locks are available in single or double cylinder styles. You can also find that these door locks are graded according to their strength from grade 1 to grade 3.
According to our list, the following smart locks are the most secure:
- August Smart Lock 3rdGeneration
- Ultraloq UL3 Smart Door Lock
- Ultraloq U-Bolt
Are smart locks safe?
Smart locks are much safer than traditional door locks. Most of these door locks are deadbolts, which are among the safest door locks available in the market. These locks also offer a variety of ways to access and unlock them.
Our Top 3 Choices
The best smartphone door locks are designed for your convenience and security. These locks are easier to access and much stronger than traditional door locks.
Let us highlight three options as a final summary of our review:
The best option is the August Smartlock 3rd Generation. This is because this smartphone door lock is extremely secure and works on Door Sense technology. Doorsense detects whether your door is closed or open and acts accordingly.
The Ultraloq Smart Door Lock is another great choice. It is a 5-in-1 smart door lock. You can open this door lock without a key, with a key, fingerprint, code, as well as with an application. This door lock uses an anti-peep password too.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Ultraloq U-Bolt Smart Lock, which offers security, durability, and is compatible with Android and iOS devices at a very reasonable price point.